Saturday, August 16, 2014

The foibles and fables of youth



In my wonderings I had occasion to reflect on the music that I enjoy. If I had to choose a song that would most describe my middle teen years it would be ‘Thick as a brick’ by Jethro Tull. Why you may ask…. Well lean closer and read.

When I was about 14 or 15 years of age I was blessed to have some very good friends in my life. They saw me through some hard times and accepted me for the person I was. We had a lot of fun together and that is what I remember the most. The Friday packing my school bag with clothes for the week end and having no place for any school books. So guess what remained at home. The weekend started after second break, which is when I bunked the last two classes and left for my friend’s house. He stayed about 500 meters down the steep Sibelius Street. 

His parents would never know how many kids would be spending the weekend at their home. All were welcome and all were loved. Thank you Uncle Dave and Aunty Rita!

How many times was the old blue and white Opel station wagon pushed out of the gate in the middle of the night and driven around by underage children????? Plenty. Were we caught by the parents???  Sometimes…. “Put the car back and go to sleep!” was the cry.

There was the time an old tandem bicycle was purchased. Picture a dilapidated bike built for two. A carrier behind the back seat, back brakes operated by the person at the back pulling on the brake cable as there was no handle in front, and no front brake. How many children did it carry? As many as could fit.

Coming back to the very steep Sibelius Street. To my recollection at least a vertical drop…or there about. On top of the hill…one tandem…one child in front.. steering. One at the back with another on his shoulders. One on the carrier, whose sole duty was to pull the back brake cable……. and one sitting on the handlebars in front to enjoy the ride.  

Unlike today there was no traffic light at the bottom of the hill. Only a lonely stop sign preventing the traffic from crossing the busy intersection. But it was a Sunday morning….and all were sleeping late except for us, the children.

“AALLL ABOARD!” My job …pull the brake before we get to the stop street. Away we went ,laughing and having fun. Picking up speed. Half way…. Three quarter way…pull brakes NOW!  Ping!!!! No more brake and right through the intersection we went.

 As you are reading this …we did survive.

Another day…another story and another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment